Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad
Historical Society

Dedicated to the preservation of materials regarding the
Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad,
its predecessors, subsidiaries and affiliates.


Last Updated
January 11, 2011

History of the P&LE
1875 May 11 The company is organized under the general laws of the State of Pennsylvania.
  May 18 A charter is obtained from the State of Pennsylvania with the principal office to be located in Pittsburgh, PA. The railroad's eastern terminus is at the depot of the Pittsburgh and Connellsville Railroad Company (B&O) in Pittsburgh. It follows the Monongahela River north to the Golden Triangle, then parallels the Ohio River north to Beaver, PA, then north along the Beaver River to New Castle, PA, then along the Mahoning River, crossing into Ohio just below Lowellsville, finally to reach Haselton, Ohio, which is the Western end of the railroad.
1877 April 30 A charter is obtained from the State of Ohio for the Youngstown and Pittsburgh Railroad Company, which represents the portion of the railroad that will operate in Ohio.
  October 5 The Pittsburgh and Becks Run Railroad Company receives a charter to operate between the Smithfield St Bridge and the Jones and Laughlin Iron Works, in Pittsburgh, PA.
1878 January 5 The Youngstown and Pittsburgh Railroad Company is consolidated with the Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Railroad Company.
1879 February 10 The entire Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad is opened from Pittsburgh, PA to Haselton, OH.
1880 February 13 The Pittsburgh and Becks Run Railroad Company is consolidated with the Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Railroad Company.
1881 August 3 The Pittsburgh, McKeesport and Youghiogheny Railroad Company is incorporated in the State of Pennsylvania and extends from the eastern terminus of the P&LE in Pittsburgh, PA to Connellsville, PA
  August 16 The Youghiogheny Northern Railway Company is incorporated.
1883 April 1 The Youghiogheny Northern Railroad opens and is leased to the Pittsburgh, McKeesport and Youghiogheny Railroad Company for 50 years.
1884 January 1 The Pittsburgh, McKeesport and Youghiogheny Railroad Company is leased to the P&LE for 999 years. The terms of the lease guarantee interest and dividend payments to be made by the P&LE and the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern railroads.
1886 January 8 The McKeesport and Belle Vernon Railroad Company is incorporated.
1889 October The McKeesport and Belle Vernon Railroad is opened.
1890 January 28 P&LE purchases the portion of the McKeesport and Belle Vernon Railroad from Belle Vernon Junction to Belle Vernon.
  May 20 The Beaver and Ellwood Railroad Company is organized.
  November 5 The Pittsburgh, McKeesport and Youghiogheny Railroad Company purchases the stock of the McKeesport and Belle Vernon Railroad Company, and the two companies are consolidated as the Pittsburgh, McKeesport and Youghiogheny Railroad Company.
1891 August 10 The Mahoning State Line Railroad Company is incorporated by the P&LE under agreement with the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad and the New York, Lake Erie and Western Railroad Company.
1892 April 14 The Ellwood Connecting Railroad is incorporated by the P&LE to make connection with the Beaver and Ellwood Railroad.
  May 26 The P&LE and the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway Company each purchase half of the Pittsburgh, Chartiers and Youghiogheny Railway Company.
1893 June 30 The Ellwood Connecting Railroad opens.
1895 January 1 The Mahoning State Line Railroad opens.
  January 22 The Monongahela Division of the Pittsburgh McKeesport and Youghiogheny Railroad is extended from Belle Vernon, PA to Fayette City, PA.
  November 26 The Mahoning State Line Railroad is leased to the P&LE for 99 years.
    The Monongahela Division of the Pittsburgh McKeesport and Youghiogheny
Railroad opens.
1899 May 10 The Beaver and Ellwood Railroad is leased to the P&LE for twenty years.
  July 1 The Ellwood Southern Railroad Company is acquired by the Beaver and Ellwood Railroad.
1900 December 31 The Monongahela Railroad Company is incorporated, and is jointly owned by the P&LE and the Pennsylvania Railroad Company
1903 August 31 The Monongahela Railroad opens.
    The extension of the Pittsburgh, McKeesport and Youghiogheny Railroad from Fayette, PA to Brownsville Junction opens, connecting the PMc&Y with the Monongahela Railroad.
1904 March 28 The Lake Erie and Eastern Railroad Company is incorporated.
1905 September 1 The P&LE purchases the Little Kanawha Railroad Company, the Marietta, Columbus and Cleveland Railroad Company, the Burnsville and Eastern Railroad Company, the Parkersburg Bridge and Terminal Railroad Company, the Zanesville, Marietta and Parkersburg Railroad Company and the Belington and Northern Railroad Company, together known as the Little Kanawha Syndicate.
  September 25 The P&LE purchases the Greene County Railroad Company.
    The P&LE assigns one quarter interest in the Little Kanawha Syndicate assets and the Greene County Railroad stock each to the Pennsylvania and the Baltimore and Ohio Railroads. The assets and stock are held by the Union Trust Company pending final division.
1906 December 8 The Lake Erie, Youngstown and Southern Railroad Company is incorporated.
  December 21 The Pittsburgh and Clearfield Railroad Company is incorporated.
1907 March 12 The P&LE purchases the entire issue of stock and bonds of the Lake Erie, Youngstown and Southern Railroad.
  December 6 The P&LE purchases the entire issue of the Pittsburgh and Clearfield Railroad Company.
  December 14 The P&LE sells one half interest of the Lake Erie, Youngstown and Southern Railroad Company to the Mahoning Coal Railroad Company.
    The P&LE purchases one half interest in the Lake Erie and Eastern Railroad from the Mahoning Coal Railroad Company.
1908 December 29 The P&LE, PRR, and B&O transfer all capital stocks of Marietta, Columbus and Cleveland Railroad Company to a committee representing the bondholders.
1910 June 6 The P&LE purchase the entire issue of stock of the Beaver and Ellwood Railroad Company.
1911 January 9 The Ellwood Connecting Railroad Company is merged with the Beaver and Ellwood Railroad Company.
1912 June 14 The Lake Erie, Youngstown and Southern Railroad is consolidated with the Lake Erie and Eastern Railroad Company.
     
     
History of The Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Railroad and its predecessors from the 1913 Annual Report of The New York Central Railroad System.